Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Some notes from this morning: Romans 11

Did God reject His people? How often to we exalt ourselves and look down on others, because we are Christians? Verse 17 sets us straight. We have been "grafted" in among the natural branches. We share in the nourishment. The roots nourish us, not the other way around. Because of God's grace and mercy, we have been offered salvation. Not that we deserve it, but God has given us mercy and grace. Even though branches have been shed that we might be saved, we could be broken off just as easy. John 15 says that if the branch does not produce fruit, it will be pruned. Why, then, are we arrogant and not humble? Do we display and declare Christ in all aspect of our lives?

You might say, "We see that the Israelites have fallen numerous times throughout the Bible. God gave them chance after chance, but they kept turning away." Are you perfect? Am I perfect? Have any of us fallen beyond the reach of God's grace?

That is grace. We do not deserve it! Verse 6 shows us that our works have nothing to do with grace. If we pay a price for it, it is not grace.

There's a lot of stuff in Chapter 11. I don't want to talk about all of it right now, but this is what I'm chewing on right now. This whole book is amazing, each chapter equally so. What I find so amazing in this chapter is that Paul teaches and convicts, yet concludes with praise to God.

I find myself searching my mind and trying to ask myself questions to be accountable to Christ. I have spent so much time as accountability partners with people, and I wasn't sure what was really wrong with that. However, Jeremy C. stated it well today. When we are accountable to each other, we will undoubtedly let each other down. We should encourage one another and stay accountable to Christ.

I'm going to try and use an outline suggested this morning. I'm going to use it with the youth discipleship group, my small group, and hopefully some friends at work. I will share with anyone else who finds this helpful and wants to try and be more intentional.

Pray for humility. Thank God for grace! Stay in the word, living it out daily; displaying and declaring Christ. Thank God that we are not beyond saving. Thank Him for sending His only Son that we might have eternal life with God. God bless!

No comments: